Boxing - Gary Cornish to face Paul Butlin



Inverness heavyweight Gary “The Highlander” Cornish (15-0) will challenge Melton Mowbray’s Paul Butlin (14-18) for the vacant International Masters heavyweight title at the Ironworks Inverness on Friday 5th July.
The minor strap was recently vacated by former Olympic Gold medallist Audley Harrison. It will be unbeaten Cornish’s first title fight.
Promoter Chris Gilmour said: “I have promoted a few of Gary’s contests, and I’m delighted to give him this opportunity in front of his local support. I believe this is the first step in Gary’s quest to become Scotland’s first heavyweight champion”
Cornish, managed by Tommy Gilmour and trained by Inverness based Liverpudlian Laurie Redfern, stated:  “This is a great reward for 2 years of hard work and it will be a chance to show people what Improvements I have made since turning pro. I only had 9 Amateur contests but have been kept busy as a Professional as well as having the experience of sparring with some of the top guys like David Price & Derek Chisora.
“This will be a difficult fight and he has a lot of experience so I will need to be at my best on the night. This is the perfect contest at this point in my career given the quality of the opponents that Butlin has boxed in his career. I aim to be the Champion on Friday 5th July.” (Read the original story)